First Downlink setup

Hi everyone,
I can’t downlink, I tried but still from the beginning ( 1 year ago) I’m not able with my configuration to have success on first downlink.
I attach a device configuration and below all the rows in the chirpstack-network-server. toml file:

[postgresql]
dsn=“postgres://chirpstack_ns:dbpassword@localhost/chirpstack_ns?sslmode=disable”

[redis]
url=“redis://localhost:6379”

[network_server]
net_id=“000000”

[network_server.band]
name=“EU868”

[network_server.network_settings]

downlink_tx_power=22
disable_adr=false
rx1_delay=3

[[network_server.network_settings.extra_channels]]
frequency=867100000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=867300000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=867500000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=867700000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=867900000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=868.300000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=868500000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=868700000
min_dr=0
max_dr=5

frequency=868900000 min_dr=0
max_dr=5

[network_server.network_settings.class_b]

ping_slot_dr=0

ping_slot_frequency=0

[network_server.api]

bind=“0.0.0.0:8000”

[network_server.gateway.backend]

type=“mqtt”

[network_server.gateway.backend.mqtt]
event_topic=“gateway/+/event/+”

command_topic_template=“gateway/{{ .GatewayID }}/command/{{ .CommandType }}”

server=“tcp://localhost:1883”

username=""

password=""

[metrics]
timezone=“Local”

[join_server]

[join_server.default]
server=“http://localhost:8003

Thank you,
Paolo

@paolotr
Please write what method are you using to send Downlink payload? Using Chirpstack application portal or by some other method?

I am not too familiar with writing .toml files but I am able to send Downlink messages without modification to the original default chirpstack-network-server. toml file. Not sure why you are modifying the file?

Was comparing your .toml configuration with that of mine. My default chirpstack-network-server. toml file has this underneath [network_server.network_settings] which is original unmodified version:-

[network_server.network_settings]
enabled_uplink_channels=[]
disable_adr=true

I can send Downlink payload by entering the fport, confirmed or unconfirmed, message payload encoded string in Base64 format on the Chirpstack - “Applications//Devices/” - portal. Hope I have understood what you intend correctly and hope this helps.

It may sound a bit obvious but have you already checked your gateway has propper connection? I’ve been a little stucked at a similar point whilst setting up my private LoraWan network, and the problem was the gateway Packet Forwader configuration (it was not set to listen and talk to my network-server).

Last year the same gateway was under TTN and downlink worked. Under chirpstack I never solved it

Paolo

Hi Nicolas,
below the LBT I see in my gateway. The problem should be somewhere else:

Hi Controlwiz,
I put your default setting on chirpstack netwrok server and restart it, but nothing changed.
My devices have all disabled the frame counter validation in the chirpstack application server, i try to send downlink from the apllication, see image below:

Regards,
Paolo

Just a thought, perhaps you know about it. By any chance did you wait long enough for the device to send the Uplink payload? With Class A devices, the server will wait for the Uplink payload to arrive and only then the server will flush its enqued Downlink payload. The effect of the Downlink payload will only be evident with the next paylod subsequent to that.

If I guess correctly from the picture, your payload is AQAAPA== (base64) is 01 00 00 3c (Hex) which probably you are trying to change the timing of uplink to 3c (Hex) = 60seconds.

Let us say for example you are trying to change the Uplink payload interval from default 20minutes to one minute interval as assumed above then you have to wait for 20minutes for the Uplink payload to arrive from the node after which the enqued Downlink payload will be sent. The next payoad will arrive after one minute.

Have you waited long enough for that cycle to happen?

Yes, I know about it.
By definition each downlink message is sent by the Network Server to only one end device and is relayed by a single gateway. This includes some messages initiated by the Application Server and the Join Server too: if I have sensor in a good position ( rssi -40) I should see some frames either in lorawan frames or device frame or in the packet forwarderforwarder, but nothing different I see