Migrating docker-compose loraserver to chirpstack

I’ve successfully migrated loraserver to chirpstack under docker-compose, but lost all my devices and such. Is there a method to export the data in the loraserver database into chirpstack? I can still bring up the loraserver container.

I’m a mySQL guy, and have extremely limited knowledge of postgres, so if there needs to be any queries from the command line, they’d need to be complete commands :slight_smile:

There should be no need to loose all your data. The only think you need to do is update the image names from loraserver/... to chirpstack/... as outlined in the announcement. After that you need to make sure to update the volumes, e.g.:

Old

- ./configuration/loraserver:/etc/loraserver

New

- ./configuration/chirpstack-network-server:/etc/chirpstack-network-server

(and rename the configuration/loraserver foloder to `configuration/chirpstack-network-server).

Of course this applies to the application-server, gateway-bridge and geolocation-server services. You should not update your database configuration. It is fine to leave these set to loraserver_ns and loraserver_as, unless you have renamed these within PostgreSQL.

1 Like

OK. I had copied the loraserver-docker directory to chirpstack-docker, renamed everything, then spun it up. Apparently docker takes the directory it’s started in as part of what makes a container unique or something.

I went back and renamed the original directory to loraserver-docker.org and chirpstack to loraserver-docker, spun it up, and it found the original database with all my devices.

Apparently being pro-active about preserving my old environment was not the winning course of action.

Thanks!

Hrm. Actually, when I drill down into any gateway, application, or device profile, once I select the gateway, or whatever I get a pop-up that says context deadline exceeded (code: 2) that disappears after a few seconds, and then the area where that would be displayed is blank.

When you change the name of a service in the docker-compose file, then this also changes the hostname. I suggest for existing setups, you keep the service-name as is (only change the container image and config paths).

Got it. Had to edit the Network Server name.