TDoA Gateways that work with Chirpstack

Hi,

I would like to be able to decrypt fine-timestamps with Chirpstack.

We have a number of Cisco Gateways, but we cannot decrypt the keys. We have contacted Semtech and Actility but have not been successful in convincing them to hand over the keys for the devices that we have purchased.

There is a thread below where people have recommended Kerlink.

My question is whether there is any change to the information in that thread? Is Kerlink still the only option for getting access to these fine timestamps. I have lodged a query with Kerlink, but my question to the Chirpstack community is whether there are any other options that I have missed?

Thanks for your time

Hi,
yes, there’s another Gateway with fine-timestamp available: Cisco IXM-LPWA-800-16-K9.

Hi HofIoT,

So we have the IXM-LPWA-900-16-K9. This has the fine-timestamp, but it is encrypted, and my understanding is that the keys have been licenced to Actility, another company.

Cheers

Hi @roy_muzz,
no you can get the key for your cisco gw to encrypt the fine-timestamp. See this topic.
We have already implemented the keys on the cisco gateways and they do report the fine-timestamp:

Cheers

Hi @HofIoT,

Are you saying that it will be decrypted by a service in the cloud?

I have been trying to find the key on the device, so on my Cisco Gateway:

LORAGW-TURRET#show aes key
AES KEY: Unknown

Are you saying that the LoRaCloud service that integrates with Chirpstack will have the list of keys and map that aginst my device for me?

The “Decrypt Fine-Timestamp” section in the following link Geolocation - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN<sup>®</sup> Network Server suggests that we need to obtain the keys.

Thanks so much again for your help

No, you must first contact semtech. They will come to you with a script which can generate these keys (for free!). Then you can add the generated key here in the chirpstack gateway configuration:

LoraCloud is needed to get a position computed.

Thanks so much HofIoT, I have put in a request with Semtech.

@HofIoT, so I lodged a query here: Contact | Company | Semtech Corporation | Semtech 5 days ago, but am yet to get a response, any chance you have any better avenues for contact? As in direct email?

Edit: I have just found Developer@semtech.com so I will give that a try and then give them another 5 days.

Thanks again,

Hi, you need to register at lora-developer portal. From there you can go to support and add a ticket :wink:

Hi @HofIoT,

So after our last exchange here, 29 days ago, I went and registered an account at the lora-developer portal. I put in a ticket and that started an email exchange. I have been following up with Semtech folk and Cisco folk independently. To summarise the two different threads

1. Semtech developers: radio silence, just stopped responding
  2. Cisco: sounds like trying very hard on my behalf but my guess is that keys are licenced to Actility, who want to sell their geolocation product.

Are there any magic words that I need to use to get access to this script that you speak of?

Thanks so much for your time,