Affordable Lora gateway for geolocation

Hi,

I want to monitor the positions of multiple (+100) nodes in a large rural area. To make this cost efficient and to stretch the life of the node batteries I want to do this using the fine timestamp feature. I know that I will need multiple gateways to achieve this which is why I am on the search for affordable gateways that offer this.

I have been considering the rak5146 for a long time but I just can’t seem to get around the steep price of the sx1303 concentrator of $88 - $105.

I came across the Elecrow LR1302 concentrator and pi hat at a combined price of only $40. It says that the hat has buit in GPS and RTC. I assume that it is similar to seeeds version the wm1302 but the seeed hat lacks RTC and fan.

Is it possible to achieve fine timestamping with the LR1302 given that it has GPS and RTC onboard the hat? Or is that feature only available to the sx1303 modules?

I am new to Lora and lorawan and given the cost of Lora units I would like to get the right gateway units from the start. I would appreciate your feedback and am open to any corrections and suggestions.

https://www.semtech.com/products/wireless-rf/lora-core/sx1303

In addition to supporting all the features of SX1302, SX1303 introduces a new Fine Timestamp capability that enables Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA) network-based geolocation.

You will need a SX1303 if you would like to use TDOA for geolocation.

1 Like