API call results "DOWNLINK_PAYLOAD_SIZE" Error because "max. payload size" = 0

I recently set up the latest Chirpstack V4 (chirpstack: 4.1.3_linux; chirpstack-gateway-bridge: 4.0.3_linux) and it can receive packets from node without any problem.
Then I tried the Python API following “Python examples - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN<sup>®</sup> Network Server” with necessary changes (server addr; token; dev_eui etc) and these two lines:

req.queue_item.data = bytes([0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x09])
req.queue_item.f_port = 1

However, when check from the web UI, it complains with “Device queue-item discarded because it exceeds the max. payload size”. More details as below picture shows:

Has any one seen such issue before, and how to correct it? Thanks.
A few more details:

1. I use the CN470_RP_1B, not the RP_2
  2. The node may not receive in port 1, but I think it doesn’t matter for the issue here.

In fact what I really want to do is sending MAC command “NewChannelReq” to guide chirpstack to ask Node to change the current channel list. Now I wonder is it possible? Now I just feel that the API payload can’t include MAC command?
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

After tested with EU868 frequency band, I don’t see this issue; and the node can receive the payload correctly.

So I guess the root cause is Chirpstack doesn’t support CN470_RP_1B? I see this is mentioned somewhere; however I can choose it from Chirpstack UI page “device profiles”. So maybe the UI should filter such option out?

Could you take a screenshot of the device-profile mac-version and regional param. revision options that you selected?

In fact what I really want to do is sending MAC command “NewChannelReq” to guide chirpstack to ask Node to change the current channel list. Now I wonder is it possible? Now I just feel that the API payload can’t include MAC command?

You can not send these mac-commands. This is all handled by ChirpStack automatically. Just make sure you have configured the additional channels (see also the region_eu868.toml config example that contains 5 additional channels). Then these channels will be automatically configured on the device by ChirpStack.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.