Application Session Key in Application Server doesn't match device generated

Hi!

I am working with the lorhammer project and specifically working on getting OTAA join requests to work to allow creating and provisioning devices in the same flow that our actual devices behave.

I am running into an issue where it appears the join is successful, logs note that, and devaddr and app/net session keys are set in the UI, but the application session key is all zeros 00000000000000000000000000000000. In lorhammer, I generate the session keys using the encyrption spec in 1.0.2 and I can confirm the network session key I generate matches what shows up in the application server.

The part that has me stuck, is that the application session key I generate, does not match the all zeros in the application server.

Any thoughts on what would cause the application session key to get stored in this way? I would expect it would generate the same app session key I generate and store that.

From lorhammer logs:

current keys appSKey=40285b8abbc3e56c341c6e6c090d1161 netSKey=8667333b40f36e48b25608fde2b18adc

Interesting - it doesn’t set / store the app key until the first uplink payload comes in. TIL

Correct, the first uplink is the confirmation that the device switched its security context. This is important as with the LoRaWAN 1.1 rejoin-request, there is a possibility that the device continues to use the old context. (On rejoin-request and sending back a JoinAccept, the NS will store both the “old” and “new” context. It then verifies the next uplink / MIC against both contexts).

2 Likes