Basic understanding of structure (with Kerlink)

I’m just getting started with Chirpstack and still need some basic understanding. I have a Kerlink gateway. Can someone help me?

Are both structures correct and possible? What do I have to consider?

V1:

V2:

Yes, both are correct and possible. The MQTT Forwarder is a new, lighter-weight service similar to the Gateway Bridge, written in Rust and requiring deployment on the gateway. In your two scenarios, they serve the same purpose.

TLS to the broker is strongly advised in both scenarios.

2 Likes

One more question in Case v2 with Kerlink iStation: Is the UDP Packet Forwarder necessary? I have read that this is not necessary. Kerlink CPF will take care of the tasks. Is that correct?

The Kerlink gateway comes with its own UDP forwarder implementation, which is API compatible with the Semtech UDP Packet Forwarder. I believe when Kerlink refers to the Kerlink CPF, they refer to this UDP forwarder implementation :slight_smile:

@bconway is correct, the ChirpStack MQTT Forwarder is a re-implementation of the ChirpStack Gateway Bridge and will replace the ChirpStack Gateway Bridge for on-gateway deployments. As it is focusing on one task (only handling one gateway), it is a lot simpler than the ChirpStack Gateway Bridge. As well it is a lot smaller (eg. the GW Bridge wouldn’t run on a Dragino OpenWRT based gateway due to its binary size).

2 Likes