Chirpstack Gateway OS V4 weird behavior

Hello everyone, I’m currently running the v4 version image of the Chirpstack Gateway OS on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ with two LoRA gateway modules (Dragino PG1302 (SX1302) and RAK 5146 (SX1303)) and I’ve noticed that for some reason the application server running on the device isnt working correctly (Live LoRAWAN Frames of device not showing, no join request showing in the device data) when the device has joined the network).

I’ve also used RAK’s Gateway OS image which lets you choose between different network servers to run (Chirpstack or TTN) and for some reason Chirpstack works on that.

I’d like to run this OS with the PG1302 beacuse I was planning on using the RAK5146 module to run TTN but I stumbled on this problem while trying on both modules.

Has anyone had the same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ameer

I’m not sure how the two modules are wired simultaneously to your Raspberry Pi. Please note that the latest v4.2.0-test.1 allows you to forward to ChirpStack (using the MQTT Forwarder) and other NSes using one module simultaneously :slight_smile: You can configure one or multiple UDP endpoints (e.g. TTN or any other NS) through the web-interface. No need to have multiple shields connected to your Pi. This might be a lot easier.

Hello @brocaar, thank you for your reply. No, the two modules arent wired simultaneously. I tested the Chirpstack v4 Gateway OS on two Raspberry Pi 3B+ with two different concentrator modules (Dragino PG1302 and RAK5146). Both of them seemingly have problems being unresponsive towards data coming in from my test end node (no join request showing, no live LoRAWAN frames showing, no device data (shows error)) on the application server.

Like I have mentioned in my first post, I’ve also had Chirpstack running on the RAK5146 using RAK Wireless’s RAK Common Gateway solution. For some reason, it works fine on that. I’d like to learn to the ins and out of Chirpstack from the official source and like you said maybe try out new features (multiples NSes using the MQTT Forwarder) with that. As far as I know, I dont think the Chirpstack version from the RAK Common Gateway ( RAKWireless/rak_common_for_gateway (github.com)) supports that function yet.

Regards,
Ameer

It is really hard to tell what is going wrong, e.g. it might be incorrect channel-plan configuration or a connection issue between your GW to NS.

First you need to test if the GW is receiving data from your nodes at all. I recommend looking at the gateway logs directly. Once you have confirmed your gateway is receiving data from your nodes, then you need to validate the GW <> NS connection.

Please see:

Hello @brocaar, thank you for the tip. I’m using the Gateway OS so making a mistake during setting up the configuration plan would be amateur hour on my part but I have rechecked all the .toml files and the configuration plan and everything seems to be in order. I’ve had an end node sending data to test the application server’s Live Data entries but I’m still getting nothing. I’m using an Arduino MKRWAN 1300 as the test node by the way and I can see in my end node’s logger that the end node is connected to the network but I dont see any activity on the application server.

I’ve also used the test node to test it with the Chirpstack ran by the RAK Wireless’s common gateway build script and for some reason its working on there…

Hi @brocaar, I’ve just tested the newest Chirpstack Gateway OS (v4.2.0-test.1) and ran into the same problem with this actual image. The device dashboard shows that I have received some packets but the events and the LoRaWAN Frames logs are empty (loading infinitely)

If everything except the live events / frames works fine (e.g. the device does activate), then it could be a virus scanner that is blocking the gRPC streams, causing the browser to not stream the data. You will find similar reports here on the forum.

1 Like

Hello @brocaar, my computer does not have any antivirus application running in the background as far as I know other than Microsoft’s own Windows Defender. Could it be that Windows Defender caused this?

I don’t know. The only thing that I can share is that I can not reproduce the issue at my side. Have you tried a different browser?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.