Chirpstack MQTT connection error, gateway bridge mqtt connects fine

I’m trying to use the same connection parameters for both my gateway bridge and chirpstack. The gateway bridge connect correctly:

chirpstack-gateway-bridge-us915_1_1 | time=“2023-07-25T21:04:27.254681585Z” level=info msg=“integration/mqtt: connected to mqtt broker”

But chirpstack does not:

chirpstack_1 | 2023-07-25T21:04:28.697833Z INFO chirpstack::integration::mqtt: Initializing MQTT integration
chirpstack_1 | 2023-07-25T21:04:28.701082Z INFO chirpstack::integration::mqtt: Connecting to MQTT broker server_uri=ssl://b-acf794f7-bc49-481a-92df-30416e749fbd-1.mq.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:8883/ client_id=17e65df96a13e5d6 clean_session=false
chirpstack_1 | Error: Setup MQTT integration
chirpstack_1 |
chirpstack_1 | Caused by:
chirpstack_1 | 0: Connect to MQTT broker
chirpstack_1 | 1: [-6] NULL Parameter

I thought having the same connection parameters should work fine. Does anybody have any tips as to what might be wrong? BTW, I can connect without issue to the same mqtt broker via mosquitto_sub and mosquitto_pub using the same credentials. Thanks in advance.

Which version of the MQTT forwarder are you using? As well, should there be a trailing slash (/) after :8883?

I think I’ve figured out a fix, but since I’m not really familiar with rust, there could be a better solution. I believe we need an empty ssl options block to allow connecting to an ssl connection without any client-side certs.

I added the following code:

else {
            let ssl_opts_b = mqtt::SslOptionsBuilder::new();
            conn_opts_b.ssl_options(ssl_opts_b.finalize());
        }

to the
if !conf.ca_cert.is_empty() || !conf.tls_cert.is_empty() || !conf.tls_key.is_empty() {

block. Seems to work for me, although I’m having issues connecting to my broker after I built a new docker image with this change. I.e. it works in the development environment, but when I try a deployment with a new docker image, I have an error connecting due to this error:
TCP/TLS connect failure

My current guess is that my docker container is having issues routing to the broker? I only see this error in my docker deployment, but not in the development environment (which is also in a docker container), so I’m a bit at a loss.
`

I realized I didn’t answer @brocaar question. I’m actually not sure what you are referring to when you say the MQTT forwarder? The code changes I mentioned above were in integration/mqtt.rs and gateway/backend/mqtt.rs in the latest version of chirpstack (version 4.4.3).

I had initially tried a lot of different combinations with and without the trailing ‘/’ and with and without the port number and the protocol types, which did not resolve the issue.

I tried running this command to start up the docker image:

docker-compose run --rm --service-ports --name chirpstack --user root --entrypoint sh chirpstack

And then installed the mosquitto-clients inside of alpine. I was able to successfully connect to my mqtt broker with mosquitto_pub from inside the container. So I’m still at a loss as to why I cannot get chirpstack to connect to my mqtt broker.

I think I built the container incorrectly somehow. This is the command I used to create an updated version of the container from the chirpstack git repository:

docker build --build-arg TARGETPLATFORM=linux/amd64 -t my_chirpstack .

@brocaar, Is your docker build command significantly different?

I’m getting the same error when making this change locally. Currently you should pass the ca_cert of the server in the configuration. Please create a GitHub issue here to request support for using the system CA certs (assuming the Paho MQTT library allows this): GitHub - chirpstack/chirpstack-mqtt-forwarder: ChirpStack MQTT Forwarder is a forwarder which can be installed on the gateway to forward LoRa data over MQTT..

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.