Chirpstack::chirpstack::integration::mqtt: MQTT error error=I/O: connection closed by peer

I have Chirpstack V4 that ran well with the Dragino gateway DLOS08 for a year. However, after running “apt-get upgrade” to upgrade the nodeRed and nodeSJ, the chirpstack doesn’t work anymore. Chirpstack showed this error "ERROR chirpstack::gateway::backend::mqtt: MQTT error error=I/O: connection closed by peer

I decided to remove/purge the following: mosquitto \ mosquitto-clients \redis-server \redis-tools \PostgreSQL\chirpstack-gateway-bridge & Chirpstack
Then I reinstalled the Chipstack again (like from the crash).

After reinstalling, like before, I can see gateway data (using mosquitto-sub or check status with systemctl):
Apr 30 14:31:57 raspberrypi chirpstack-gateway-bridge[30698]: time=“2024-04-30T14:31:57.781092822-03:00” level=info msg=“integration/mqtt: publishing event” event=up qos=0 topic=us915_0/gateway/a84041ffff21c16c/event/up uplink_id=41318

But the chirpstack errors is still there:
Apr 30 14:23:15 raspberrypi chirpstack[2360]: 2024-04-30T17:23:15.676202Z ERROR chirpstack::gateway::backend::mqtt: MQTT error error=I/O: connection closed by peer

Apr 30 14:23:15 raspberrypi chirpstack[2360]: 2024-04-30T17:23:15.707854Z ERROR chirpstack::gateway::backend::mqtt: MQTT error error=I/O: connection closed by peer

Please help me with this issue.
Worse case, if I need to reinstall from the crash, what else I should remove.
(Note: This is a remote computer; I cannot reinstall the RasberryPiOS. It will lose the remote connection).
Thanks for your support.

Have you checked your gateway mqtt configuration in the ChirpStack config files?

Hi Brocaar, thank you for your reply.

Here is the MQTT configuration in the chirpstack.toml:

I used the same configuration setting for all other chirpstack systems (they have the same design), and all of them are running well except this one.
Thanks

hi @brocaar, is there anything that can help to find out the issue?

Assuming there is a MQTT broker running on the same host, you need to find out the reason why this is happening. The MQTT broker logs could be a good starting point to debug this further.

Thank you help.
Cause: Mosquitto v 1.5.7 is outdated
Solution: upgrade of mosquitto to version 2.0.12

That is quite an old version, v1.5.7 was released in 2019 :wink:

1 Like