Dragino LG01-N no "Live LoRaWan Frames"

Hi,

I am very new to LoRa and LoRaWan but what I know so far, the Dragino LG01-N was not the best choice. Since I just want to develop my own sensors and do my own network I wanted to give it try with this “SCPF/Gateway-Thing”.

I can see the Gateway on the ChirpStack Web Interface:

But I do not see any Live LoRaWan Frames:

----------> Do I need to configure a sensor to see these live frames?

I found this thread in the forum: Dragino LG01-P as Gateway - #31 by fatma_ben_hlima
Unfortunately it did not help, because Gateway settings look different and I cannot select “LoRaWan/Raw Forwarder” as IoT Service because of the firmware version of the LG01-N. I have chosen “Custom / Private LoRaWan”.

As ChirpStack Network server, application server and gateway bridge I use an RPi4 with the latest Raspbian and I followed these instructions: Quickstart Debian or Ubuntu - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN<sup>®</sup> Network Server
I did not install the gateway bridge on the LG01-N, because it is mentioned as optional in this guide.
The RPi4 has the IP Address 192.168.178.46 and the Gateway has the IP Address 192.168.178.67. There is no firewall installed in this network, menas both can ping each other. In the chirpstack-network-server log I can see a lot of “storage: gateway state updated” messages.

----------> Can somebody please help me solve this issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Br,
Kai

Hi Kai,

The only thing different for Dragino LG01N is that it is a single frequency, single data rate LoRa Gateway.

For the rest it is like any other.

First of all you reached to connect the gateway properly to Chirpstack, as you can see the state connected a few seconds ago.
The gateway sends to the server a status message every 30 seconds or so to show that it is alive.

Second the live LoRaWAN frames only shows you some info when it is open and a sensor sends a message.
You cannot see anything that happened in the past.

As the gateway is single frequency, single data rate (configured in the Dragino LoRa Setup) your sensor must transmit messages in the same Freq and DataRate, all others will not be seen by the gateway and then not transmitted to Chirpstack.

Make some tests in this way and let me know.

That is not entirely correct. The firmware is also different with different packet forwarders in use… I have never been able to get data from the Dragino Gateways (I have the LG01-P variant) I experience the same issue as the OP. These gateways are more trouble than they are worth. I have had much better luck with the Heltec ones… like this one… https://heltec.org/proudct_center/lora/lora-gateway/

Hi @jjanderson,

According to @kawi83 question, I tried to guide him in how Chirpstack works.
He is asking:

The answer is yes, as many people expects to get past info of frames received by Chirpstack.
And then, as he is using LG01-N, he has to take into account the type of gateway that it is (single freq, single DR) as the usual main confusing thing if his sensor is 8 channels.
In fact the gateway is working ok and it is connecting to Chirpstack.

Another topic would be if this gateway is better or worse than any other.

Apart from that LG01-P and LG01-N are different even at hardware level, so it could be the cause that you couldn’t run it ok.
I just can say that LG01-N works ok, obviuously with their limitations (you cannot even consider a full compatible LoRaWAN gateway), but it works.

my point is that the gateways are fundamentally different (as opposed to what you have stated) and in order to waste as little time as possible, I would advise simply get another gateway and that way stop fussing with things that are possibly a non-starter… you comment of… “the only things that are different” implies that there is an issue with his setup which will set him off a path of trying to fix the setup when the issue actually lies in the hardware…

My advice stands… these gateways… especially the LG01-P (which the OP appears to have) are not great, and to save time, I would recommend another gateway…

My answer is essentially providing the OP the confidence in his setup so that he he an start doing some actual IOT integrations as opposed to worrying about his setup…

Hi,

first of all, many thanks for your replies. Since I was not able to configure the LG01-N, I decided to send it back. So currently I do not have a gateway. Currently I am not sure which one to buy. But the gateway should be compatible with Chirpstack and TTN.

@jjanderson
Can I connect the Heltec Gateways to the Chirpstack server, even though they are only dual channel LoRa Gateways?

Yes, you can and there should be most of the functionality you need. avoid SIngle CHannel gateways as you will not be able to OTAA, however dual channel gateways should provide all the functionality you need.

When you add a dual channel gateway, make sure you assign the channels in Chirpstack gateway profiles as per this image:

Then use that gateway profile when setting up the gateway like so… The most important thing is the channels in the setup… everything else is relatively flexible and unimportant (apart from the Gateway ID obviously)

1 Like

Many thanks for your help. I will try this, once I got a dual Channel LoRa-Gateway.