Dummies guide to payload decode?

I seem to have read every post about how to decode a payload but I must have a mental block as I cannot get anything to work for me.

I am tring to decode from base64 to ascii so the sensor data is readable when it hits my Home Assistant.

I have been on https://www.base64decode.org/ and I can see the data is in base64 format and is correct when it decodes.

However how do I configure the codec to actually decode the data?

My packet is shown below and the data I want to decode is under the heading “data”

Help for a newbie on payload decoding much appreciated!!

applicationID:"4"
applicationName:"AARC_sensors"
deviceName:"unit002"
devEUI:"e45f01ffff867c40"
adr:false
dr:3
fCnt:354
fPort:1
data:"RE86MzguMjksNDIxLjEsT1JQOjM1NC4wLHBIOjE0LjAwMCxFQzowLjAwLDAsMC4wMCwxLjAwMCxSVEQ6LTEwMjMuMDAw"
objectJSON:
tags:
confirmedUplink:false
devAddr:"00597dcc"
publishedAt:"2022-05-16T18:11:10.212141445Z"
deviceProfileID:"282f9ce7-8b51-465b-aa22-2219f3b74bca"
deviceProfileName:"AARC_sensor"
1 Like

Need more information on what topology are you using Chirpstack to decode your “data” base64 payload. For example show your topology like for example:- sensor-----LoRaWAN------Chirpstack (localhost or external network server???)-----Local integration or external platform ------------Home Assistant? Do you have Node-RED and MQTT broker on the system? This will make it easier to understand your attempt and make suggestions to decode base64 payloads. Base64 needs to be decoded to JSON object to be able to make it human readable.

I have sensor ----rak 7268 gateway ----locally hosted chirpstack-----Home assistant. Home assistant has the mqtt broker installed but I do not use Node-Red.