Fixed addresses for nodes?

Hey,

I have a question depending on the DevAddr and the registration.

I want to configure approximately 100 nodes which only needs to send a fixed size of payload. But the configuration of the 100 nodes can be cumbersome because every node has to be registered and get unique addresses and keys. The keys are no probleme for my validation, it is not bad if the same keys are used.

The idea is to hold the effort as small as possible and to distinguish the incoming packets on the network-site but I reckon, that I have to register each node by hand and to use the generated DevAddr.

So, is it possible to register a fixed number of nodes and hold the effort small?
And is it possible to give a node a fixed, consecutive DevAddr?

Best regards,

DeHi

Please note that the generate DevAddr option in the UI is there only to assist you. It is not required to use this. E.g. you could enter any valid DevAddr and it should work :slight_smile:

Are you planning to provision these devices through the API?

Ah great, good to know and that what I need. Thank you :slight_smile: .
Is the number of nodes unlimited?

Yes exactly, thats the plan. Why did you ask? :slight_smile:

In that case just generate the DevAddr values by your own script and and use these as API values. Basically that is what LoRa App Server is doing too. You could also use the

POST /api/devices/{devEUI}/getRandomDevAddr

API endpoint. The only thing it does is generate a random DevAddr, this is completely stateless. So you could use this to generate your own set of DevAddr which you then can reuse. This makes sure that the NetID NwkID is used as a prefix :slight_smile:

Theoretically the number of nodes is limited to 2^64 (DevEUI space), which should be enough for your test :wink:

Thanks for that hint, I think the first variant with the self-generated DevAddr will be my way :slight_smile:. But I think I will try the second way, too.

Now, I have a further question: is it possible to register my devices with the API? Or do I have to register all devices over the web browser? :thinking:

Ähm…yes, it should almost enough :smile:

The web-interfaces uses the API :slight_smile: So everything you can do through the web-interface is possible using the API.

Sounds good for me! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help :slight_smile: