Gateway-bridge issue: one gateway and multiple ChirpStack instances

Hi there,

For educational purpose, I would like to setup a private LoRaWAN architecture based on:

• Several LoRaWAN devices
  • Only one gateway
  • Multiple ChirpStack instances

Archi LoRaWAN

I’m using a Dragino LPS8 gateway with the Gateway-bridge IPK 3.8.0 release https://artifacts.chirpstack.io/vendor/dragino/LG308/chirpstack-gateway-bridge_3.8.0-r1_mips_24kc.ipk since 3.9.x and 3.10.x seem to be not compatible with LPS8.

My setup is based on https://www.chirpstack.io/gateway-bridge/gateway/dragino/ with the example config file chirpstack-gateway-bridge.toml https://www.chirpstack.io/gateway-bridge/install/config/ except :
servers=[
“tcp://127.0.0.1:1883”, “tcp://192.168.1.11:1883”, “tcp://192.168.1.12:1883”, “tcp://192.168.1.13:1883”, “tcp://192.168.1.14:1883”,
]
192.168.1.11-192.168.1.14 is the IP for each ChirpStack instance.

I’ve setup each ChirpStack instance, each one works properly with the gateway and the devices but only one at the same time.

For example, if I would like to use the 192.168.1.12 ChirpStack instance, I have to stop all the other ones. That means that only one ChirpStack instance can see the gateway.

I thought that I could use the Gateway-bridge with only one gateway and multiple ChirpStack instances.

What have I forgotten or done wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

Regards,
Yag

Good morning,

Could someone tell me if it is related to a configuration issue or a misunderstanding on the functionality of the gateway-bridge ?

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Yag

Hi,
problem seems to be in the mqtt library: Is it possible to use two generic MQTT server addresses in bridge configuration?

Wouldn’t it be possible to use a shared MQTT broker between the different ChirpStack instances?

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your message. I’ve read the thread regarding the MQTT library. I’ve to find another solution.

Regards,
Yag

Hi Orne,

Many thanks for your message. Regarding the shared MQTT broker you’re talking about, just to make sure I understand correctly, is it something like that?

I have to edit the chirpstack-network-server.toml on each “ChirpStack for Device” to modify the MQTT server address from localhost to IP_of_ChirpStack_as_MQTT_server.

# MQTT server (e.g. scheme://host:port where scheme is tcp, ssl or ws)
server="tcp://(IP_of_ChirpStack_as_MQTT_server):1883"

Does this sound correct ?

Regards,
Yag

It is not ChirpStack as MQTT broker, ChirpStack is not a MQTT broker. You would configure all ChirpStack Gateway Bridge instances to the same MQTT broker (e.g. Mosquitto). Then you would configure your ChirpStack Network Server instances to this single MQTT broker too.

Just to make sure, a device should only be active on one ChirpStack Network Server.

1 Like

Thanks Orne, it works perfectly.

I’ve updated the schematic just in case it helps others.

Snapshot

The infrastructure I use is automatically deployed to over 50 virtual machines and all software configuration files are automatically updated.

I noticed that by default the chirpstack-gateway-bridge.toml config file uses ‘server=“tcp://127.0.0.1:1883”’ and chirpstack-network-server.toml config file uses ‘server=“tcp://localhost:1883”’. This would simplify the script for the automated deployment if it could be the same parameter by default: localhost or 127.0.0.1.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Yag

Are you able to help please as you are one of the few LPS8 forum individuals to have gotten it working with Chirpstack. I have been trying to get my LPS8 connected to Chirpstack for a week now but I have discovered that when I try to set the LoraWan settings it does not accept them. I enter them as below in Image1 but then it resreshes and is blank as in Image2. This seems abnormal. My dragino firmware is ver lgw-5.4.1610176959
Image1
Image 2

Thank you

Hi Shane,

I have tested several Dragino LPS8 and have never encountered the problem you describe.

Are the other parameters correctly saved when changing the password or the network configuration for example ?

I am also using firmware lgw-5.4.1610176959.

Looks like there is an inconsistency between the firmware version and the settings saved in memory.

It would be interesting to reflash the firmware lgw-5.4.1610176959 without the “preserve settings” option. In this case the internal memory will be reset to the default settings.

Please keep me informed.
Yag

2 Likes

You were right. I reset to factory and all works now. Now just to figure out how to get a Reyax module to talk to it. :smile: