Gateway management and sub-regions deployment

I noticed there just seem to be no way of configuring a gateway region via the chirpstack UI so that one can spread out gateways coverage to multiple sub-regions (i.e: us915_0, us915_1, etc.) for environments with high device density or crowded frequencies, even though it appears to be possible according to this documentation page.

Indeed, the only way I found to have different sub-regions is to use the correct mqtt prefix by the mqtt-forwarder, which happens to match the region_config_id as configured in chirpstack. However, it kind of defeats the possibility to reconfigure the concentratord channel planes remotely via gateway region assignment.

In V3, it seems that such a thing was made possible through the use of gateway profiles, which I assume it was then possible to reconfigure a concentratord channel plans by switching gateway profiles (I can only assume this was possible since i’ve never tried V3).

Is there a reason why gateway profiles was removed from V4, thus making the gateway region assignment rely 100% on the gateway local configuration rather than a global configuration via chirpstack? Is there something I am missing here?

Is it possible to make sub-regions assignment possible entirely remotely, without having to change the gateway local configuration (making the mqtt-forwarder publish on a specific pre-defined mqtt topic prefix)?

Best regards,

1 Like

Either ChirpStack v3 or v4 way, you still need to set the region for the gateway itself using the web managment of the gateway.

If all gateway vendors use the same standard to apply region from server, then your suggestion will work.

I am aware of that. Remote region configuration does not make sense since in some cases hardware is just different depending on the region (EU433 vs US915), in which case you are “locked” to a specific region.

That’s why I refer to sub-regions (us915_0, us915_1, …) where the available region channel frequencies are spread apart in groups which can be configured separately since most of semtech transceivers only support 8 channels. Knowing this, it just makes sense to be able to specify the sub-region to use. This is already the case actually: by specifying the correct mqtt topic prefix, chirpstack will reconfigure the chirpstack-concentratord to use the correct sub-region channel frequencies (no gateway vendor/standard implied). Hence why I ask for the possibility to perform this remotely through the UI.

1 Like

Yes, I agree.
Less configuration, more automation.