Help extracting data

Hi,

I have been trying to get my head around this for a while with no luck.

I have a Vega IOT SI-13 RS232 device that i am sending ‘1234’ to by serial RS232 link. this device is successfully uplinking to my chirpstack server but I have no idea how to then extract the data from the coding.

The following code is the uplink i get under ‘Device Data’

adr:true
 applicationID:"1"
 applicationName:"Blue-Skies-Benin"
 data:"AwEAAQABAA=="
 devEUI:"3939353452385414"
 deviceName:"Marco_Scales_1"
 fCnt:4
 fPort:2
 dr:5
 frequency:867900000

This is the corresponding loraframe

frequency:867300000
modulation:"LORA"
bandwidth:125
spreadingFactor:7
codeRate:"4/5"
polarizationInversion:false
mType:"UnconfirmedDataUp"
major:"LoRaWANR1"
devAddr:"006cd8fb"
adr:true
adrAckReq:false
ack:false
fPending:false
classB:false
fCnt:5
cid:"LinkADRReq"
channelMaskAck:true
dataRateAck:false
powerAck:true
fPort:2
bytes:"Xcyb47v0kw=="
mic:"e850d7bd"

I am fairly certain the data is no longer encrypted by this point, I just don’t know how to extract the data.

If it helps people, the manual for the device can be found here: https://iotfactory.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/01-VEGA-SI-13-UM_rev-09.pdf and details about the packets and structure are at the back, I just can’t seem to get my head round it.

Can someone please point me in the direction of what my Java Script codec needs to look like to extract the data ‘1234’ from the uplink please? I would be hugely grateful for any advice

You already asked this question here: Help with decoding Payload and sending to thingsboard

As noted, the good news is that your device is sending data and it is being decrypted in the data field. The bad news is that it is not the ASCII 1234 that you are looking for. You will need to investigate the device and the data it is sending.

Thanks again bconway and apologies for posting twice, I wasn’t too sure how to gain traction on the post again. I am in need of some guidance (if there is someone who has any advice to give) as to how to do just that.

When the Base64 data is decoded, it almost looks to me like it has been scrambled in the encryption and is now useless data? I just wondered if anyone has any pointers for me?

firstly, You need to know the endnode payload structure. Read the device docs or ask device vendor for it. Take a look whether the bytes responsive to data from RS232 port. Write own script to extract them from corresponding bytes of payload. You can use JS/GO language if you want to do it from ChirpStack app-server side in device profile CODEC tab. Or any language directly at application side.

1 Like