Help with the connection of a P-NUCELO-LRWAN2 gateway

Hi everyone,
I am pretty new to the LoRa world and I am trying to implement a network server on a Raspberry Pi 4 to read messages from a gateway. Since it seems that no raspberry pi hat is available, I went with the ST Microelectronics P-NUCELO-LRWAN2 discovery kit.

In a first instance, I tried to follow all the documentation provided by ST and I was successful in connecting the gateway to the Loriot Network Server. Since I am developing this for a client, I would like to host my network server and not rely on 3rd party servers.

I followed the documentation provided on the Chirpstack website and I also followed the setup using this video from mobilefish and the server seems to be up and running good, but on the GUI I cannot see the gateway.

The Chirpstack Gateway Bridge is mounted on the raspberry, with all the other components. I have tried to debug the problem following the gateway bridge documentation and everything seems to work, except that I have no log_file (but I can see the packet sent using journalctl -f -n 100 -u chirpstack-gateway-bridge).

I then switched to the Chipstack Network Server and in the log I find this error:

Mar 25 17:02:19 raspberrypi chirpstack-network-server[448]:
time="2020-03-25T17:02:19+01:00" level=error
msg="uplink: processing uplink frame error"
ctx_id=beec585d-8c7b-4456-bddc-37fbdaa8ec6f
error="join-request to join-server error: response error,
 code: Other, description: get device-keys
 error: object does not exist"

This error is similar to the one reported in the documentation but I don’t get how to solve it. Do you have some hints on that?

Thank you in advance for your help!

@damianolodi,

May you please specify the following:

Chirpstack network server version.

It looks to me that you have an end device connecting throughout OTAA that it’s not registered in the network server. Then, this indicates that your end device uplink frames are receiving by the network server, however, there is some trouble when tries to join to the server.

I suggest the following:

• Double check that LoRaWAN version in your end device matches the one that it’s been used in the device profile that you have assigned to register the end device over the network.
  • Double check that you are setting the right device keys values.

This is stated in Troubleshooting ChirpStack Network Server issues.

Hope that helps,

Hi @sophiekovalevsky,

thank you for your nice answer. Sorry to be late on my side but I had to work on other things.

The network server version that I am using is 3.8.1.

I took some time to debug following your suggestion, and you were right, I had the wrong LoraWAN version. After that, I also missed configuring the application key.

Since I don’t see much online support for this LoRa kit by ST, I will report here how to detect the LoRaWAN version used on the node, hoping that this could be of some help for someone else.

1. You can download from the ST website the I-CUBE-LRWAN LoRa expansion package. Following the path Middlewares > Third_Party > LoRaWAN > Mac you can see the file lora_mac_version.h
  2. In the file comments, you can check the version on which the driver is based and a GitHub link to which you can refer to see the version specification
  3. Visit the link (which should be https://github.com/Lora-net/LoRaMac-node/wiki/LoRaMAC-node-Wiki) and click Code > releases
  4. In that page, you can check the release version reported on the .h file and the LoRaWAN version that you should place in the device profile on the Chirpstack network server.

Hope this helps.