How to edit *.toml files

Hi,
General question… How can I edit the .toml (configuration files?) for the network server and the application server? I don’t know what editor works nor the syntax…

Thanks Rob

Just find your configuration file and run command of edit or use desktop,

Command is like:

vim xxx.toml

I would also go with vi for quick configuration edits, but I believe nano is considered friendly for new users to *NIX environments.

you need to go to your docker folder, like this:

cd chirpstack-docker/

then enter the configuration folder like this:

cd configuration/

now look for your files like this:

dir

then enter the one you want to edit, like this (example):

nano chirpstack-gateway-bridge.toml

and once you enter the file, you can edit, remove, or add whatever you want to the file whilst you are on the cmd. (Press Ctrl+S to save, Ctrl+X to exit, etc)…

Hope I helped you!

Nicolas,
That is exactly what I needed. I have not tried it yet but hope to do that today. I have to setup the configuration files for Network and the Application Server for frequency settings etc (USA).

Thanks Much
Rob

PD: Those commands are used in LINUX based chirpstack servers.

Your welcome!

I just noticed that I only responded to Nicolas… Sorry …thank to all for your prompt replies.

Rob

Hi Nicolas,
When I try to cd into my /etc/chirpstack-application-server/ …I get access denied? I believe my sign in is an admin account. I am using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Thanks Rob

I like MS Word, that way I can use my favorite fonts and highlight any important settings.

Nicolas, I just looked at the message again it says : Permission denied

I don’t think you’re ready to work on Chirpstack. You gotta start with the basics first, like how to edit a file in linux.

We are here to help our mates, not to highlight their weaknesses.

Yo do not have to enter the folder you mentioned. But a general docker folder instead.

Open your terminal and write “dir”. Then you will see the possible folders in which you can move on.

Guidance:

1 Like

After this, you only need to enter the file using:

“nano chirpstack-application-server.toml”

In case “permission denied” stands out. Try adding “sudo” at the beggining of instruction. Like this:

sudo nano chirpstack-application-server.toml

Hi Nicolas
Success!!! I got those two files edited today… Cudos to you man!

Thanks Rob

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.