Is it possible to avoid a re-join on a Chirpstack instance change?

Let’s say you have 5 devices registered and activated in a Chirpstack instance.
After some time, you want to register these devices in a new Chirpstack instance (another server). Is it possible to avoid the re-join process?

If we talk, for example, about water meters, it is a very tedious task to physically force the re-join process for each device and some providers tell us that the re-join process can automatically begin after 30 days of no connection (too much data lost).

Sure, I’ve migrated devices from one LNS to another a bunch of times. You will need to import the session keys after creating the devices into your new network server. You will also need to update whatever gateways are in the field to point at the new network server, as well.

From the devices’ perspective, it’s as if nothing has changed. Kinda required when doing a migration in the many thousands, I’ve found.

Thank you for the answer @bconway. Can you share the instructions of how to import the session keys in Chirpstack once the device is registered?

In the Activation tab, I can only see “This device has not (yet) been activated.”

1 Like

I have always scripted it with the (gRPC) API, I don’t believe the UI currently supports this. I don’t have my code in front of me this very minute, but I believe it’s this endpoint:

https://www.chirpstack.io/docs/chirpstack/api/api.html#api-ActivateDeviceRequest

@bconway, using gRPC applies to CS v4, but what about CS v3? Have you done it with that version as well?
I ask because I’m in the process of moving from v3 to v4.

Thanks.

ChirpStack v3’s API was also based on gRPC. That version just happened to include the grpc-gateway proxy in the binary to provide an additional REST API.

So, yes.

Ok, thanks for the response.

Hi,

Looks like I want to achieve the exact same thing, migrating from acklio LNS to Chirpstack v4.

From the old LNS, I can retrieve devEui / OTAA key / Application & Network Session key / frameCounter !

But reading the documentation Protocol documentation - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation

I need a full DeviceActivation object Protocol documentation - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation

I am missing :

• dev_addr
  • s_nwk_s_int_key
  • f_nwk_s_int_key
  • n_f_cnt_down
  • a_f_cnt_down

And the documentation is not very explicit if all are required ? or their purpose ?

Thanks,
GS.

1 Like

Ok,

managed ton find dev_addr in log files since It does not seem to be available in acklio UI or API…

And believing Device activate AND Invalid string length - #4 by Marek_Wilniewiec

• s_nwk_s_int_key
  • f_nwk_s_int_key

should have the same value as nwk_s_enc_key.

Two settings left to find in acklio :

• n_f_cnt_down
  • a_f_cnt_down

GS.

1 Like