Is this the right technology for frequent downlinks class c?

Hello forum,

I am looking for the right technology for home- and factory automation. That means

demand side management for electrical power which requires

• reading of power meters (may also be done over ethernet)
  • starting / stopping chp plants
  • controlling an ev charge park (power reduction for demand side management)
  • controlling heat pumps and resistive heater
    and all this in a quite timely manner - reaction time should be in the range of 1…5 seconds max.

automated light on / off depending on visitors, ambient situation

automated shades open close

etc.

Am I looking at the right technology with chirpstack?? From reading the TheThingsNetwork LoRaWan documentation, I get the impression that a paid membership there may do what I want but may also be overkill because I dont need to cover a really wide area, only a few thousand square meters where I can easily install a few gateways.

If connecting everything over ethernet would be an option that would probably be my favourite. But unfortunately with existing buildings, this is a maximum cost solution…

best regards Arno

Class C is what you want for near real time operation and switching etc, ideally the sensor would be of a powered type as they’re always listening.

Personally I probably wouldn’t put anything mission critical on lorawan ie. an emergency plant shut down switch that is critical etc… but switching stuff is completely fine and doable.

Depending on where you are you could also leverage existing coverage by public networks ttn/helium/thingsix for example or run your own private network of gateways via chirpstack - or a hybrid of public and private…

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

Mission critical stuff is already hard wired.

So it seems I am on track here and will investigate class C devices.

Greets Arno

1 Like

LoRaWAN Class C has been used for smart city applications that involve realtime commands, such as smart street lighting. Usually, the device will receive ad-hoc commands for manual overrides or setting a schedule. To save on bandwidth and to reduce points of failure, a good device should be able to operate autonomously with as few commands as possible. For example, it is able to have a schedule to on/off the lamp at specific times of the day, possibly with sensor and/or astronomical clock support.

Less is more, with LoRaWAN.

1 Like