Laird Sentrius v4 MQTT Forwarder / GW Bridge

Hey everyone and @brocaar,

I was wondering if there was any modern support for a gateway bridge / MQTT forwarder for the Laird Sentrius RG1 gateways?

I’m testing different gateways and see that the documentation for Laird claims that the MQTT Forwarder is not (yet) compatible with Chirpstack v3. Clearly this fell off the priority list as v4 came out before the Laird v3 support did.

Is it possible to install the v4 Gateway Bridge / MQTT Forwarder onto the gateway? How could I go about trying this?

I would much prefer that than re-adjusting my whole network setup to accommodate a gateway bridge server side and send UDP over the air.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve never used one, but given that the documented[1] RG1XX only supported Gateway Bridge via the cloud, I wonder if it’s a good candidate for the ChirpStack MQTT Forwarder (not to be confused with the Laird one). @brocaar ?

[1] Laird - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation

Let me check, I do have one of these gateways but it has been a while since I used it. I can’t remember if it is possible to install custom packages on it or not. I’ll do some testing and let you know.

2 Likes

afaik, you can not ssh into this gateway, thus there is no option to install additional software onto this gateway.

1 Like

Oh you’re right, how disappointing. I hadn’t gotten much time to play around with it so I didn’t even notice that yet. I assumed marketing a “Full onboard Linux OS” would mean you get to use it but I guess not.

Thanks anyway for you time @brocaar and checking this out for me!