LoRa communication between nodes

Hi everyone!

I am currently working on a project in which we need to create a mesh network.

The boards we are using have the SX1276 transceiver. We started trying to communicate 2 nodes and our first program consists in a simple PingPong communication.

I read some interesting information about LoRa/LoRaWAN in this post:
https://forum.loraserver.io/t/relation-between-sync-word-private-network-and-end-nodes/191/11

The example I’m using transmits a simple message with LoRa modulation, but it does not set the network type to private or public anywhere in the code (unless the default value is 0x12 and the modem is set to private from the beginning).

So these questions come to my mind:

1. If I want to build my own network (with my own protocol stack), do I have to make sure that the sync word is set to 0x12?

2. Can I set the sync word to any other value than 0x34? Or is 0x12 the only avaliable value for this purpose?

Thanks you in advance.

The LoRaWAN has a star topology. If you are creating a mesh network that means your network is no more a LoRaWAN compliant network. That said, I don’t believe that you will need to be worried about the sync word because apparently, your network is no longer a LoRaWAN network, it is just a raw LoRa communication.

In the LoRaWAN network, the nodes always communicate with a Gateway, there is no communication between the nodes whatsoever. That is why I said that you don’t have a LoRaWAN compliant network in your situation.

What I understood about this subject is that if you are using the LoRaWAN protocol stack without any modifications (which means a LoRaWAN compliant protocol stack) you should use the sync word 0x12. However, if you change the protocol stack to fit your specific needs, you should use the 0x34 sync word. There is no third option.

Regards

We can achieve this mode if we are not using the LRWAN stack. However, if we use the LRwAN stack two nodes are unable to communicate with each other. Because I believe at the PHY layer the packets should be received for a Class-C node if the frequency and SF are same.
Any insights on how can two nodes with full LRWAN stack communicate with each other?