LoRaWAN 1.1 OTAA problem

Hi all

We know that LoRaWAN 1.1 has changed a lot from LoRaWAN 1.0 , including the introduction of join server etc.

When I let a device join through OTAA on the current version of chirpstack LoRaServer, DevEUI and AppKey also need to be input on the Application Server( creating a device, let join servers know information of the joining device? ), while LoRaWAN 1.0 does not need to input DevEUI and AppKey on the Applciation server. Is there any configuration method that allows LoRaWAN 1.1 to remove the steps of inputting device’s data on the Application server just like LoRaWAN 1.0 when OTAA?

Thanks

Harry

We know that LoRaWAN 1.1 has changed a lot from LoRaWAN 1.0 , including the introduction of join server etc.

The join-server is not LoRaWAN 1.1 specific. It can be used with LoRaWAN 1.0 too.

The DevEUI is mandatory when adding a device to ChirpStack. However the AppKey and/or NwkKey are not mandatory. When the device (LoRaWAN 1.0 or LoRaWAN 1.1) is provisioned on an external join-server, you can leave these keys blank.

1 Like

Thanks

Even if I use an external join server, I still need to let the join server know the DevEUI and AppKey of the device to be added by OTAA, that is to say, I have to input these information into the join server any way, right?

Correct, the join-server needs to know the DevEUI and the AppKey (and NwkKey in case of LoRaWAN 1.1). The idea however is that this step could be done by the device manufacturer so that for the end-user, there is no need to know the root-keys.