MikroTik knot LR9 Gateway offline / Last seen Never (solution)

I’m running the Docker ChirpStack v4 and MikroTik knot LR9 firmware 7.12beta3.

I wanted to post my setup for the MikroTik knot LR9 using US frequencies because it took me a while to get the LR9 to show up as Online in ChirpStack even though I was getting MQTT messaging just fine.

The knot has two LORA US 915 channel plans “US 915 Sub 1” and “US 915 Sub 2”. Im using “US 915 Sub 1” for my setup.

First in your file chirpstack.toml set
enabled_regions=[ "us915_0", ]
Second in your file chirpstack-gateway-bridge.toml set

[integration.mqtt]
event_topic_template="us915_0/gateway/{{ .GatewayID }}/event/{{ .EventType }}"
state_topic_template="us915_0/gateway/{{ .GatewayID }}/state/{{ .StateType }}"
command_topic_template="us915_0/gateway/{{ .GatewayID }}/command/#"

AND

# Region
#
# Please refer to the LoRaWAN Regional Parameters specification
# for the complete list of common region names.
region="US915"

Third In the ChirpStack GUI I added a Gateway with the Gateway ID from the knot

The thing that finally made it all work for me was setting the above MQTT topic to “us915_0”. I thought because "region=“US915"” did not need the “_0” it was not needed in the MQTT topic and that was wrong.

My full configuration files are posted on my Github-ChirpStackV4_MikroTik_LR9_Knot.

3 Likes

Thank you! This was really helpful. I’ve been struggling to get a local LoRaWAN server going using ChirpStack instead of TTN.

I tried the ChirpStack Gateway OS (latest and previous versions), but I couldn’t get the UDP listener of the gateway bridge / UDP packet forwarder to run. I opted to do a basic Raspbian OS and manually install the gateway bridge and ChirpStack and this was the missing piece to get it all working. I could see that the gateway bridge was receiving the packets from my MikroTik LtAP LR9 and the MQTT publications were happening. Even still the gateway was showing offline on the web interface.

My problem was that my region in the MQTT topic was configured simply as “us915” and not “us915_2” for sub-band 2 that I’m using.

I’m glad that I came across your post.