MQTT Broker: SSL/TLS

There are no real guides on loraserver.io on how to secure the MQTT broker by establishing SSL/TLS. At least not for the lesser experienced developers. I hope that we can get some answers on this thread, and maybe it will also help others in the future, who will end up with same questions as I have now.

For the kerlink ifemtocell gateway this is the only description, which I could find on loraserver.io:

For me this is no help at all. Of course it helps me to figure out where the configuration file is, but what difference does that make, if I have no idea on what to configure on the configuration file.

I have been reading up on what to do, and found this guide: http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/mosquitto-tls/, which guides you to create certificate and key:

• ca.crt
  • ca.key
  • server.crt
  • server.key

And we have these 4 fields which are all connected to a MQTT Broker on the server:

• Loraserver
  • Lora-App-Server
  • Lora-Gateway-Bridge
  • Gateway

DIAGRAM TO ILLUSTRATE THE COMMUNICATION

This means that in plain text the toml files will look like this:

• Gateway:

• server=“ssl://hostname:8883”
    • ca_cert="/user/keys/ca.crt"
  • Loraserver:

• server=“ssl://localhost:8883”
    • ca_cert="/etc/mosquitto/certs/server.crt"
  • Lora-app-server:

• server=“ssl://localhost:8883”
  • Lora-gateway-bridge

• server=“ssl://127.0.0.1:8883”

Question: Is the above the correct way to encrypt the communication between the MQTT broker?

1 Like

You could also consider terminating TLS in front of MQTT. We prefer doing it via an Amazon ELB or Nginx (Kubernetes).

Thanks for the response @bconway. Wont it be sufficient just to do as I am asking?

You also need to configure mosquito. Specifically from Step 3 from this URL:

Step 3 — Configuring MQTT SSL

To enable SSL encryption, we need to tell Mosquitto where our Let’s Encrypt certificates are stored. Open up the configuration file we previously started:

sudo nano /etc/mosquitto/conf.d/default.conf

Paste in the following at the end of the file, leaving the two lines we already added:

/etc/mosquitto/conf.d/default.conf

. . .
listener 1883 localhost

listener 8883
certfile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mqtt.example.com/cert.pem
cafile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mqtt.example.com/chain.pem
keyfile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mqtt.example.com/privkey.pem

Again, be sure to leave a trailing newline at the end of the file.