Multitech MTAC-LORA-G16-868 v2.1 Gateway

Hello everyone!

After reading almost all the post about Multitech, Conduit, and Packet Forwarder (on this and Multitech’s forum) I think I have the moral authority to create a new Topic

I am trying to install a packet forwarder and chirpstack-gateway-bridge in a Multitech gateway: MTCDTIP-L4E1-275L-868 (Outdoor, mLinux, 2x EU868 LoRa v2.1 boards, LoRa-geolocation, LTE + WiFi)

I am following the exact instructions described on: Multitech - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN<sup>®</sup> Network Server.
I flashed the gateway with a fresh image: mlinux-base-image-mtcdt.jffs2 22-Jun-2021 12:07 35M

However, I doubt on how to follow in the final steps: Setting-up the Packet Forwarder. It says I should follow the instructions based on the hardware of the gateway. ( * mLinux with MTAC-LORA-H-915 or MTAC-LORA-H-868 ) The thing is I don’t have neither of those versions. See the result of the following commands:

mtcdt:~# # mCard in ap1 slot
mtcdt:~# mts-io-sysfs show ap1/product-id
error: cat: can't open /sys/devices/platform/mts-io/ap1/product-id: No such file or directory
exiting with 99
mtcdt:~# # mCard in ap2 slot
mtcdt:~# mts-io-sysfs show ap2/product-id
error: cat: can't open /sys/devices/platform/mts-io/ap2/product-id: No such file or directory
exiting with 99
mtcdt:~# # detect first mCard
mtcdt:~# mts-io-sysfs show lora/product-id
MTAC-LORA-G16-868

The MTAC-LORA-G16-868 says it is the GeoLocation v2.1 board (according to Multitech’s technical support, who suggest to use the the /opt/lora/pkt_forwarder binary)

I tried to follow the steps indicated for MTAC-LORA-H. However, it shows error messages

mtcdt:~# /etc/init.d/lora-packet-forwarder-ap1 start
/etc/init.d/lora-packet-forwarder-ap1: LORA card not detected
mtcdt:~# /etc/init.d/lora-packet-forwarder-ap2 start
/etc/init.d/lora-packet-forwarder-ap2: LORA card not detected

Of course, I could try playing with /opt/lora-packet-forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd and some of the configuration files in /opt/lora-packet-forwarder/config/

Dear @orne, I wonder if the MTAC-LORA-G16-868 is supported by lora-packet-forwarder_4.0.1-r5.0_mtcdt.ipk (and of course, its geo-location capability for LoRa-based localization)

I would really love to have the dual packet forwarder with their own configuration, which is perfect for our research experiments.

With best regards

Sebastian

The ChirpStack Multitech instructions refer to the blue Conduit (indoor). Please note that the hardware design of your gateway is very different from the blue Conduit as it is based on the v2 reference design, the blue Conduit is based on the v1 reference design.

In your case I think it is better to follow the Multitech instructions and configure the packet-forwarder such that it forwards its data to the ChirpStack Gateway Bridge.

Thank you @brocaar for your fast response.

I suggest to add such clarification on the instruction page. Just avoid future misunderstanding.

I just received a message from Multitech’s support explaining that the only Packet Forwarder that it works on the v2.1 is the UDP. MultiTech Developer Resources » Topic: Basic Station guide on Conduit
From my experience, I know the only UDP packet forwarder that works is the one called /opt/lora/pkt_forwarder . Not to be confused with /opt/lora/lora_pkt_fwd

So, to make it short, your suggestion is the right path to have this gateway connected in someway to the Chirpstack LNS.

Thank you again for your support.

With best regards

Sebastian