OpenWrt equivalent doftware on Rapsbian

I have used the Chirpstack OpenWrt Full image for the Raspberry Pi to create a combined gateway and network server, and integrated it with other services. The Gateway uses the WM1302 Pi Hat with a SX1302 LoRa transceiver. There are two web interfaces - one on localhost:80 and the other on localhost:8080, both of which are required to do the full configuration.

I want to have a full Raspbian OS (or perhaps Debian/Ubuntu if that is easier), but have the same behaviour as the OpenWrt system.

I have followed the instructions here (Debian / Ubuntu - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation), but this only installs the Network and gateway forwarder. Only the localhost:8080 web interface is available.

I would like the concentratord and the Chirpstack interface (on localhost:80) so I can use the same hardware, but also have a full UI and load some proprietary software onto the gateway.

I’ve not been able to find any documentation on how to do this. I can download a single executable for the concentratord-1302, but there is minimal information on how this needs to be set up - just a config file, and nothing on the web-based interface, which allows the user to choose between several LoRa transceivers.

How can I set the remaining parts up? Is there a debian package available? Do I need to manually create services to run the concentratord?

Thanks for any help.

The reason I’m built the ChirpStack Gateway OS is because creating your own Raspberry Pi gateway from scratch can be tricky. E.g. by default the SPI interface is not enabled and the bluetooth module is interfering with the UART pins used by the GNSS module (if you have one). For SX1302/3 modules, you also need to enable the I2C interface for the temperature sensor on the concentrator shield.

The ChirpStack Gateway OS does all of this for you + it provides a web-interface to select the proper concentrator shield + all other configuration.

Please note that porting this web-interface to Raspbian OS is probably not going to be easy. OpenWrt uses the UCI configuration system, and the web-interface LuCI is built on top of this. You would probably have to build something similar yourself.

I would like the concentratord and the Chirpstack interface (on localhost:80) so I can use the same hardware, but also have a full UI and load some proprietary software onto the gateway.

Nothing prevents you from running proprietary software on the OpenWrt based Gateway OS… There are two ways:

Note that many standard packages can already be installed through the web-interface, much like using apt on Debian / Ubuntu.