RAK7391 Gateway Communication Issue with ChirpStack v4: Gateway Bridge Version Differences

Hello Community,

I’m encountering an issue with communication between my RAK Gateway Model RAK7391 and ChirpStack v4. I have configured my RAK gateway with RAKPiOS and set it to packet forwarder mode. Additionally, I have a ChirpStack server deployed on Azure, installed on a VM, with the required ports (UDP 1700, 8080 for NS) opened. However, despite these configurations, I’m unable to establish communication in ChirpStack v4. Interestingly, when I revert back to ChirpStack v3, communication works fine.

Whats key differences between ChirpStack v3 and v4 , particularly regarding the gateway bridge, as this seems to be the point of failure in my setup.

Have you installed Chirpstack gateway bridge v4?

Yes I did that before, and couldn’t reach the communication. Then decided to switch to V3 !

It is hard to tell what the cause of the issue is, but a good starting point would be to check the logs. Of course you could decide to keep using v3, but you will miss out a lot of features, bugfixes and security updates so I think it is better to resolve the communication issue :slight_smile:

This guide contains some commands that you can use for debugging the communication: Connecting a gateway - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation.

1 Like