Raspberry Pi + Adafruit RFM95W single channel gateway

Hi everyone,

I am struggling for the past 3 months to connect my Raspberry Pi-based single channel gateway. However, I could not succeed. The gateway is completely ready and could run on Pi Terminal. I just need to connect it with Chirpstack.io. I watched a lot of tutorials but could not find a solution. Completely give me :sob

I request you please someone helps me out with a weird problem.

Single-channel gateways are not recommended and my experience is that they are causing a lot of troubles (and wasted time). Even if you get the communication to work, you will have to make work-arounds to get your devices up and running (limiting them to one channel and one DR).

Why not invest in a proper SX130x concentrator shield instead?

2 Likes

Hej @brocaar,

Thank you for your response. I know a single channel gateway is not recommended but I am using it just for my experiment. My actual research is on securing LoRaWAN infrastructure i,e key management using public-key cryptography. So, for that, I actually needed a basic LoRaWAN implementation and at the time I only have 3 Adafruit RFM95W transceivers which I want to utilize.

Would you please assist me how can I connect it to the Chirpstack?
Best,
Junaid

For that you need no radio hardware at all.

Your experiments should consist purely of theoretical work and software simulations.

There’s absolutely no point to on-air tests; especially as the only way you can get meaningful test volume is in having simulated entities talk to (or overhear) each other through simulated radio links.

Hi, thank you for your response. Similar research I have found where the authors have used Raspberry Pi, and Adafruit Lora module. Therefore, I intended to reproduce the same work. Thanks

So basically, rather than take a moment to understand what they did wrong, you’re going to just repeat their mistakes.

The world already suffers from far too much meaningless “research” performed by people who can’t be bothered to make an effort to first understand how LoRaWAN works.

To anyone who does understand it, actual radio hardware is meaningless in protocol-type security considerations, because hardware is only a means to access conditions which vary to a degree that can only be usefully captured by simulation, not even years worth of busy on-air testing.

“The world already suffers from far too much meaningless “research” performed by people who can’t be bothered to make an effort to first understand how LoRaWAN works.”

Couldn’t agree more! I wish the lora forerunners had done some better research and not left learners with high entry barriers such as purchasing closed design baseband concentrators. Never learnt from the Arduinos and Raspberries of the world!