Running multiple ChirpStack Gateway Bridge instances simultaneously

Sorry, Linux dummie here.

I want to migrate to Chirpstack V4 mainly because of the multi region support. So far I was running Chirpstack V3 with a single region.

Chirpstack is running on a Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS installation running on a VPS. v3 works without any problems.

I already have two toml files for the two regions I want to use.

I was able to use the migration tool to go to V4 and it puts both regions in the new files.

But then, for multiple region support, it seems I need to run multiple instances of the Chirpstack Gateway Bridge:

But I have no idea how to do that. Can someone give me a hint how to start the gateway bridge in two instances, each using its own toml configuration?

1 Like

Please note that the chirpstack-gateway-bridge is a single binary, that you can execute multiple times. It takes a -c argument for the configuration file. What you probably want to do is create multiple Systemd services, each per region.

See as an example:

https://github.com/chirpstack/chirpstack-gateway-bridge/blob/master/packaging/files/chirpstack-gateway-bridge.service. This file is copied to /lib/systemd/system/chirpstack-gateway-bridge.service.

Maybe this could be helpful too: Systemd Essentials: Working with Services, Units, and the Journal | DigitalOcean.

1 Like

@brocaar
Thanks, as I said, I am a linux dummy.

So I would change this line

ExecStart=/usr/bin/chirpstack-gateway-bridge

to include the -c xxxx.toml config file, correct?

@brocaar

Thanks a lot, now I have (still on old Chirpstack) two regions working.

I love Chirpstack!!!

1 Like