Sensor not re joining gateway

Hello

I have a UC300 and a UG63, ive been having issues with when the sensor is on before the gateway the sensor wont join when the gateway is live so i need to power cycle the gateway, i now have an auto reboot of the gateway at midnight each night

Is there a way around this with having the sensor keep trying to join?

I have a real word trial next week where my system is 200kms away from me and i dont want to have to ask the client to reboot the sensor if i have any connection issues

Gateway is not related unless you use embedded network server in the gateway.

If the redis server for the network is restarted and the redis data is not persistent, the session keys may be lost.
Then the node needs to force rejoin by rebooting the node.

Newer LoRaWAN nodes will force a rejoin if no downlink from server for a period of time.

1 Like

If your node has no rejoin feature, you can try to use ABP instead of OTAA and just use static session keys.

Im using the UDP packet forwarder in my gateway to send data to chirpstack which is working

Server isnt being rebooted for any reason

But when im having this issue if i reboot either the gateway or sensor it starts to work again

It is really hard to understand why rebooting a gateway alone could solve a “re-join” problem.

Do you know if your gateway is able to reconnect automatically when it looses network connection?

Do you know how and when your sensor detects that LoRaWAN network is down, and what is the behavior of this sensor when it happens?

1 Like

If the gateway is online and confirmed to be working it’s up to the end device to manage the OTAA join process. I would check with Milesight to see how exactly their join process works but I would suspect that if you join a device and ship the gateway/devices to their final location they should automatically start transmitting within a reasonable amount of time. If not, they should eventually revert to a status where they attempt a periodic rejoin. This usually happens after a certain number of confirmed uplinks with no response at which point the device assumes it’s no longer seeing the gateway.

How often are the UC300s set to transmit once joined?

Please keep us posted as we also use Milesight products and haven’t had any issues but would like to better understand this process.