Server Power Opinions

Greetings,

I have been running a server on DigitalOcean for the last two months. My configuration was the cheapest one ($5/month).

1GB of memory
1CPU
25GB of storage.

For the first two months I was only running one RAK indoor gateway and one LoPy4. Recently I added a Tektelic Pico, three indoor nodes and one industrial node. I noticed that not all my frames would be reported. In the logs I was seeing something that said “qos=0”.

Was this a result of the server being severely under powered? I don’t really have the option to run on a machine in my apartment. I am deploying a very big network (20 gateways and several hundred nodes). Can I get some opinions on what types of power options I should pick? I kind of wanted to stay on DigitalOcean as I don’t understand network servers much and Google/AWS pricing is not very clear.

Cheers,

QoS is related to the MQTT configuration. In general QoS=0 is fine on reliable networks. See for more example: What is MQTT Quality of Service (QoS) 0,1, & 2? – MQTT Essentials: Part 6.

I noticed that not all my frames would be reported.
Was this a result of the server being severely under powered?

It is more likely that there is a misconfiguration or the device is not properly activated. Please see one of the troubleshooting guides as a start: https://www.chirpstack.io/guides/troubleshooting/.