Using ChirpStack on IPv6 without NetIDs

Dear all,

First of all I would like to thank you for bringing ChirpStack to the community, this is a great software!

Sorry in advance if it might be a silly question (I am a newbie):

I am a TTN community user and decided to step-out TTN for various reasons. I asked a NetID as proposed by TTN and I am waiting for the answer.

Is there a way of using ChirpStack with IPv6 without relying on TTN or Helium or any member of the LoRa community, without using a public NetID and still forward messages outside of Chirpstack on the Internet.

In comparison, with a WIFI access point, it is possible to allow any roaming device to connect in open air and fetch an IPv6 and be accessible both ways. Is that possible with ChirpStack?

Can a public network can be built without a top organization like TTN or Helium selling or renting NetIDs ?

Kind regards,
FF

I found this: LoRa AllianceĀ® Launches IPv6 Over LoRaWANĀ®; Opens Wide Range of New Markets for LoRaWAN - LoRa AllianceĀ®

For private use, you can set or not set the NetIDs in ChirpStack.

More specifically, 000000 and 000001 are reserved for testing / private networks.

Is there a way of using ChirpStack with IPv6 without relying on TTN or Helium or any member of the LoRa community, without using a public NetID and still forward messages outside of Chirpstack on the Internet.
Iā€™m not sure if I fully understand your question. The NetID is used to generate DevAddr prefixes, such that if an other network receives an uplink from you, they can detect that the uplink belongs to a device using your NetID. How Roaming works is specified in the Backend specification.

The NetID does not limit you in forwarding data from your gateways to ChirpStack over the internet in any way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.